Monday, December 28, 2009

Pros/Cons of Traveling By Yourself

OK. As mentioned in my last entry I said I would make a short list of the pros and cons of traveling by yourself.

Pros:
- You set your own schedule.
- You can focus on what you want to do - take pictures, shop, go to museums, etc. and nobody is going to wine or hurry you up.
- You will (or maybe not) see more than you would with someone else because you are moving at your own pace.
- You most likely will meet more people - at the hostel, restaurants, etc. I've found that people (especially other solo travelers) are more likely to approach you and strike up a conversation when you're also solo than if you're traveling with someone else.
- You never know how someone else travels or if you'll get along with them. Just because you're BFF with someone doesn't mean you'll travel well together! So traveling by yourself avoids possible conflicts or disagreements.

Cons:
- There's nobody to watch your back or your stuff if you just need to go to the restroom really quick.
- There's nobody to share food (or other things) with! I love trying local foods or in general, trying different things. When traveling with someone else you can each buy one thing and then share or sometimes there are certain tickets, excursions, or accommodations that can be split between two people lowering the cost.
- Sometimes it can be lonely if it's a longer trip and you don't have anyone to talk to.
- Eating by yourself isn't always fun but sometimes you can grab a sandwich or wurst and walk around while eating! Also, people watching can be really fun if you're eating by yourself.

I'm sure there are other pros/cons but these are just a few I thought of on my last solo trip so I jotted them down in my travel notebook for this blog entry. Hope these last two entries help with your travel plans!

No comments: