Monday, October 25, 2010

Durga Puja in Dhaka

A quick photo journey through our Durga Puja celebrations in Dhaka, October 15-17, 2010. Overall it was a great weekend with lots of new adventures and great memories!!


 National Monument for Martyrs - made possible thanks to Karin's friend's mom, Moni

 one of the most beautiful, peaceful spaces and monuments I've seen. it reminded me a lot of the memorial to murdered jews in europe in berlin. peaceful. reflective. open for interpretation.

 mastering 3 people in a rickshaw...for 1.5 hours on our way to a Bangladeshi rock concert!!

 Bangladeshi rock concert at the Sheraton! (Karin knew the guy on the far left). we arrived just in time for the last 3 or 4 songs!!

 first bus ride in Bangladesh!! real safe?! :)

busy streets of Dhaka

 stuck in traffic...everyday life in Dhaka - we were lucky - according to the locals, traffic wasn't as bad as usual

fresh Fuchka from a street vendor


 we sat in bright red plastic chairs devouring our spicy fuchka....and then debated our price with the vendor -- 20 or 40 taka...29 or 58 cents! gotta love the bangladeshi prices and our new bangladeshi attitudes! beshi! (too much!)

 our first temple of the day!

 we received many offerings throughout the day - from rice and veggies to michti and of course, coconut milk

 rollercoaster meets ferris wheel meets death trap?! in bangladesh...yet another memory to add to my book, "That would never happen in the US" (you can't really tell from the picture but this 'ride' is held together with ropes!! and yes, I did ride on it!)

 Hindu Street! lots of people, lights, shops, food, and small temples

burning the midnight oil - Bangladesh, the city that never sleeps

where do you go when there's no more space? up!


 our last temple celebration - the mayor is in the lower left corner of this photo

 our Durga Puja bandit, including a few random kids

after mastering 3 people in a rickshaw you graduate to 3 adults and 3 kids...fun times until they ate lunch with us and wanted to go home with us...hmmm

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a Bangladeshi, it was a pretty awesome seeing the country from your lens. hope you had a good time hear, hope people were hospitable. Take care, Peace!

Jessi said...

Hi Adnan,

Thanks for reading my blog! Glad you enjoyed my Durga Puja post! I love living in Bangladesh! Thanks for sharing your country :)

myvanillasoul said...

Its been almost 4 years I have not seen my country....studying in Australia....far from my ground source...mama and dad also there...but anyway....all I want to say you is you have just made my day with your blog...probably my month or so on....thanks a lot..feeling awesome after seeing all these pictures...accept my humble invitation to go there again and again....it will make you feel better again and again...

love from Yasir
xx