Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm here!!

Well, I arrived safely in Munich Monday morning (the 7th) and have been having a blast so far! There are 461 employees at the Edelweiss - some are German contractors but most are Americans. About 180 employees live in the housing provided (called The Abrams). There are a lot of employees from the west (Montana, Colorado, Texas). So far I have only met one girl from VA - Fairfax.

There are eleven new employees in my orientation class. Over the past three days of orientation we've filled out a lot of paper work, taken a tour of the Resort, met the General Manager, received our ID cards, and shopped on base at the commissary and PX.

My roommate is amazing!!! Her name is Terri - she is from Montana, she's been here for about 6 months and she is a snowboard instructor. (Picture - my roommate and I my first night in Germany at Peaches, a local Italian restaurant - it was 3 euro pizza night and three were a lot of Edelweiss employees there for me to meet)

It's really cold here - especially compared to Newport News! There is snow and ice on the ground. Last night I bundled up in long underwear, jeans, thick socks, a long-sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, winter jacket, gloves, and a hat and was still a little chilly walking to/from dinner. There's a lot of black ice on the roads as well and we have to do a lot of walking to get anywhere (usually minimum of 15-20 minutes).

There's a lot more to do here than I was expecting. The city of Garmisch is adorable. It's about a 15 minute walk from the staff housing building to the heart of the city. There are a ton of restaurants and small shops. I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to explore but I am planning on finding my way around town this weekend.

I start my first day of work tomorrow - I will be working in the IT department providing support to all of the Resort's employees and guests. I will keep you updated on how the job goes.

Below are some pictures of my apartment , our balcony, and the view from our room!! Amazing, huh?!

Mine and Terri's Room
Our room again - my bed is the one on the right

Our balcony - I couldn't figure out how to flip the picture on here...


View from our balcony!!

View from the commisary

3 comments:

Jen Waybright said...

I'm so excited for you G-Big! :) :) Love and AOE

Mr. Svenska said...

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles
über alles in der Welt!

oops, shouldn't be singing that - don't quote that to anyone, especially not a German ;-) (It was part of the first verse to their national anthem during WWII and is now banned - now they just use the third verse).

Hab Spaß! Sei sicher! Nimm viele Fotos! (Have fun! Be safe! Take lots of pictures!)

Pam said...

Hi Jessi, the view looks fantastic. Hope your are having a blast.

Pam