Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Markets in Germany!!!

December 19-20, 2008 It's Christmas Time!! and 'tis the season to drink gluhwein, buy wooden ornaments, and watch Angels play instruments in town hall window's...only in Germany! As the end of the season draws nearer I made a desperate attempt to make it to a few more "must see" markets in Germany. Friday after work, I drove to Munich to see the Marienplatz and Tollwood markets. I spent the night with Florian, my couchsurfing friend, who has a great extra bed and a nice apartment near a S bahn stop. Saturday morning, we woke up early and I went on my way to make a rainy/snowy drive to Nuremberg, Germany's most famous Christmas Market. After some great photo ops taken from the Cathedral's "special exhibit" that overlooked the market, a gluhwein, and some shopping I made my way to Rothenburg, a town still protected by walls and towers. I enjoyed my time in Rothenburg but knew there was still one more stop on my list and I had to make it there by 1800. Augsburg was the last stop! Why did I have to be there by 1800? So I could see the 24 Angels appear in the Town Hall windows and play instruments!! I made it by 1700 and then made my way toward the Town Hall and Christmas Market where I walked the aisles of stands looking for the best place to stand and watch the show. Luckily, I staked out my spot in the middle of an aisle moments before everyone else started filling in around me. The performance lasted 5 minutes or so and was beautiful. Each Angel was dressed in a traditional dress with a short, curly wig. The music was so harmonious but what else would you expect from Angels? After the performance, dinner (aka wurst and gluhwein), and some shopping I made my way home through dark, unlit, puddle filled roads while the rain/snow bore down on my windshield...not exactly what you want after a long day of driving and shopping. I was, however, thankful that it didn't rain too much when I was in each of the towns. It somehow seemed to be raining the entire time I was driving all day but it was never raining in the towns as I was walking around! more pictures

Munich Marienplatz Christmas Market

Nuremberg Christmas Market

Angel Ornament on Rothenburg's Christmas tree

Rothenburg's Christmas Market

Augsburg: Welcome to the Christmas Market

Augsburg's Angel Show at the Town Hall

Augsburg -- town hall and clock tower hovering over the Christmas Market Square





1 comment:

Mr. Svenska said...

You make me so jealous, Jessi, seriously. I was there around Christmas time once, went to Nürnberg as well. Oh how I miss Glühwein from a shoe mug :-) Frohes Weihnachten!